Sophos review: Expert's summary
Sophos is a well-known cyber security company that provides security software for businesses. However, it also provides some antivirus packages for general consumers, promising "enterprise-grade cyber security" for home use.
I wanted to know if Sophos Home Premium is really as good as they advertise and if the advanced malware scanner can really detect and stop all the latest and most sophisticated malware.
In my tests, I was very impressed with Sophos' scanning capabilities: the antivirus blocked and removed almost all malware samples I downloaded, including spyware, ransomware, trojans, rootkits and viruses.
In addition, I tested all of Sophos' additional features, including:
- Web protection.
- Parental controls.
- Remote device management.
One of the features of Sophos that I liked best is that you can remotely manage its features on up to 10 devices, which is ideal for users who need an easy way to change security settings, run malware scans, and manage parental control settings on multiple devices simultaneously.
However, I dislike the fact that users need to open the Sophos online dashboard to access all features and configure antivirus settings. Sophos has a minimalist desktop application, but you can only use it for some basic actions, such as checking your system and accessing the online dashboard.
Also, I wish Sophos would add some extra features that almost all the best antivirus of 2021 offer, such as device optimization and VPN.
That said, Sophos is a very good choice for users looking for a simple antivirus that offers consistent and reliable protection against all known and emerging malware types, as well as Internet security threats. Sophos is also one of the cheapest antiviruses on the market, has a free trial version (no need to enter credit card details) and has a 30-day risk-free money-back guarantee.
Sophos Security Features
Parental controls/content filtering
- Privacy protection. Notifies when an application tries to access a user's webcam or microphone (microphone protection is only available on Macs).
- Keylogger protection. Encrypts keystrokes so that keylogging malware and hackers cannot track keystrokes and steal important information. This feature is located in Safe Online Banking.
Sophos plans and pricing
- Real-time malware protection.
- Malicious URL protection.
- Remote management for up to 3 devices.
- Content filters.
Sophos Home Premium - The best Sophos package available
- Ransomware protection.
- Anti-phishing features.
- Banking protection.
- Privacy tools (including webcam protection).
- Advanced malware scanning and cleaning.
- Remote management for up to 10 devices.
- Live chat and email support (weekdays 8am to 8pm EST).
Sophos is easy to use and configure
- Remotely check all protected PCs and Macs.
- Receive alerts if threats are detected.
- Manage antivirus settings.
- Add new devices.
- Malware protection - scans apps and media for malware.
- Application Reputation Check - evaluates the security and privacy features of an application.
- Web Filters - Blocks malicious or undesirable web pages.
- WiFi Security Scanner - Scans for man-in-the-middle attacks and other security risks related to unsecured networks.
- Link Scanner - checks links in non-browser applications for malicious content
- Application Lock - protects applications with a password.
- QR Code Reader - performs security checks on QR codes before opening web pages linked to the QR codes.
- Authenticator - generates time-based one-time passwords for multi-factor authentication.
- Password Vault - stores passwords and login details.
- Security Advisor - Enhances Internet security.
- Privacy Advisor - displays applications that can access personal information.
- Wi-Fi network scanner.
- Password vault.
- Web filtering.
- Secure QR code scanner.
Sophos Customer Support
- Email support.
- Live chat support.
- Knowledge base (articles not available in English).